Friday, May 14, 2010

Robin Hood - starring Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett

Review by Steven Harvey and Eric Williams - Off the Bone Barbeque

Hello Off the Bone family! This is Steven Harvey and this is my review of Robin Hood 2010. Now, all I can remember from Robin Hood as a kid, was green tights and the motto "Steal from the rich and give to the poor". Well upon arriving to the advance screening of Robin Hood, my cousin Eric was hungry (and if you have seen him, you know why..lol).

Well he bought a hot dog, popcorn and a drink and the total came to $15. Wow!! Now that was stealing from the poor and giving to the rich. So, I would suggest for you to come by Off the Bone Barbeque before your movie night. For the same $15, you could feed 2 people and get a lot more than popcorn salt.

By the way, thanks to Shane Hefner and Jenn for supplying us with tickets.

Now this movie opens in nice dramatic fashion, in old school 12th century England. Amongst war, poverty and taxes. Hey that sounds a lot like today. The storyline is actually the back story before our hero becomes Robin Hood. Now the biggest problem with this movie, is actually not even the movie itself. It is the impossible expectations that this movie has to try to live up to Gladiator (which also starred Academy Award winner Russell Crowe and mega director Ridley Scott). In comparing the two - this movie falls way short.

Now don't get me wrong, Russell Crowe represents when he is on screen. The battle scenes are intense, and the period setting, scenery and wardrobes are spectacular. It gives you the actual feeling as if you are riding with Robin Hood throughout this adventure. I have seen and enjoyed many great movies made from those era's....Braveheart, Gladiator, Elizabeth and Shakespeare in Love. These great movies all had a captivating storyline with superb acting. But this movie just relies on borrowing bits and pieces from this epics and hopes that we (the audience), will just ride along.

So what is good? The battles, the scenery, the authentic look of the time and culture.
What is bad? The dialogue, the story line and the lack of character development of some of the key players. Toss in a couple of cheesy rally war speeches and you have Robin Hood.

Any beautiful ladies? No... I mean, Academy award winner - Cate Blanchett is unique in her own way, and she does always commands a nice presence on screen. But outside of Cate, unless you like ladies who look like they have not bathed since the 11th century (the movie is set in the 12th century - lol), then you are out of luck.

So on my scale.. I give Robin Hood - an order of ribs. It's good when your hungry, but it is going to leave you wishing you had more.

This is Eric Williams and I must agree with my cousin. I was shocked by the high prices at the concession stand. The only thing good was that you get a FREE refill when you buy the large drink. I don't see why the food was so high?? Just like I could not see my cousin sitting next to me inside the theater.

I guess the ideal thought, is to have a VERY OPEN mind you when see this movie. I admit, that I did go in with some pretense of expecting certain details of this very old tell. As my cousin said - steal from the rich and give to the poor. Now I do remember a little more than him because I am younger than him and better looking too!!! I was looking for Fryer Tuck and Little John to see how the entire gang all hooked up.

Now you must pay attention in the beginning of the movie and listen VERY hard, because the dialogue is a bit of a challenge. You can find yourself very easily lost and saying.."What happened?"..."What did he/she say?" Then you are trying to put pieces together and not sure what is what.... Does anyone have a rewind or previous button?

Now the last time Russell Crowe and Ridley Scott hooked up..........BAM!!!! A great movie and many awards for it. Well, don't even look for a bing (pin drop sound), in this one. Now the fight scenes are great, and the landscape gives that feel of authenticity. Beautiful countryside with all the right props, not holding back any aspect of old England. This movie is more of how Robin Hood became Robin Hood. So if that is your interest, then this is a good movie. Just remember to listen and stay open minded. By the way guys, I must emphasize - NO CUTE GIRLS!!!

So on my scale, I give Robin Hood - a half cooked rack of ribs. Because it looks good, but just not completely finished.

Click here to view the trailer - Robin Hood

No comments: